(from Toyota Press Release)
Designed to "meet, link and hang out," the PM is a "wearable"
single-person vehicle that targets driver-vehicle unity and offers
advanced vehicle-to-vehicle communication.
1. Driver-vehicle unity with ergonomic focus: Cabin and seat shape are
designed to fit almost like a glove, while integrating the driver's
intention with the car's capabilities.
2. Variable "lifelike" posture: The cabin and wheel-suspension structure
are separated, allowing the PM to vary its posture according to speed
and to facilitate entry and exit. Antennae-like headlamps contribute to
the image of an exotic life form.
3. Space input display: A floating virtual display senses driver finger
position and shows vehicle data, locations of other PMs and other
4. Vehicle-to-vehicle communication: PMs can share information as they
travel, follow a leader in platoon formation and rendezvous
5. A further evolution of the PM concept called the "i-unit" will be
featured at the Toyota Group Pavilion at EXPO 2005 AICHI, to be held in
Aichi Prefecture, Japan, beginning March 25, 2005.